Grappling the Grapevine
Where there’s an organization, there’s a grapevine. It’s only human nature for people to discuss, speculate, debate – and, yes, gossip. It can’t be eliminated, but there certainly are things that you can do to tame it.
Next to making wine, here are some things that you can do to prune it back.
- Elevate listening as a priority
- Encourage diverse thinking and expression
- Establish a variety of channels—both formal and informal—for real-time feedback
- Verbally acknowledge feedback—both good and bad comments
- Circle back with answers to questions
- Activate ideas that lead to a better way
- Express appreciation for tough questions and constructive feedback